Cross sectional study on awareness level and functioning of VHSNCs Healthcare financing in Karnataka
A cross sectional study on awareness level of the members and functioning of VHSNCs in Hassan, Bellary, Belgaum and Chitradurga districts was undertaken by KSHSRC and a report has been submitted to the State with the recommendations.
The study aimed at formation and composition, functioning and the changes brought by VHSNCs in four districts. Both qualitative and quantitative methodologies were applied in this study. Two separate interview schedules for VHSNC (VHSNC Survey) and community members (Community Member Survey) were used as part of quantitative survey and in-depth interviews and focused group discussion (FGD) were part of the qualitative methodology.
Formation of VHSNCs Training/Capacity Building Programs:
- Ø Orientation to community members on formation and composition of VHSNC needs to be carried out at the GP level. Active SHGs, women groups, youth groups and other community based groups need to be involved in the process of formation.
Emphasis needs to be given for ensuring 100% attendance and participation, besides design and contents, while planning and organizing training for VHSNC members.
- VHSNCs members need to be provided with capacity building support in phased manner (two training programmes of 2 days each) with well planned hand holding support in the areas of formation, functioning, monitoring, community involvement process and leadership, communication and motivational skills, processes and strategies.
- ASHAs, ANMs and AWWs are to be provided with special inputs in the areas of processes and procedures of formation, functioning and monitoring of VHSNCs, preparation of village health plans and maintenance and utilization of VHSNC funds.
- All the members of VHSNCs need to be trained in areas such as analyzing village health needs, preparing village plans and monitoring village health services using color coded cards.
- A documentary film on VHSNC in regional language, focusing on formation process, membership composition, functions / roles and responsibilities of VHSNC, financial management, community mobilization process, role of GP.
- Best practices sharing programmers for VHSNC and GP members need to be organized to learn from the best practices of other VHSNCs.
Awareness and Functioning of VHSNCs
- There is a need for developing more innovative and creative awareness and educational strategies encouraging community and PRI involvement with special emphasis on women, adolescent girls, SCs and STs for heath entitlements.
- Best performing ASHAs, AWWs, ANMs, active VHSNCs and dynamic GPs need to be identified and honored (with awards and incentives) at the district level.
- Experiences and learning’s among VHSNCs across district should be shared in an annual event involving GP, Taluk Panchayath (TP) and Zilla Panchayath (ZP), district administration and health functionaries.
- Awareness on utilization of untied and other funds/grants needs to be enhanced at least amongst ASHAs/ANMs/AWWs enabling them to guide VHSNCs in managing grants/funds efficiently and effectively.
Increase in Community involvement:
- Locally functioning SHGs, Bala Vikas Samithis (BVSs), youth associations and women organizations need to be motivated and encouraged to volunteer for VHSNC membership. This strategy would help in increasing community participation in general and women and SC and ST participation in particular.
- Mass awareness campaign for community involvement and engagement using street plays, village level celebrations and Melas to be organized in regular intervals. As far as possible, community involvement at the planning phase of such programmes to be encouraged.
- Use of effective community mobilization mechanisms and strategies, planning and implementation of phase wise capacity building programmes, ensuring quality monitoring mechanism and greater involvement of women, SCs, STs and GP members in VHNSC will help in ensuring timely formation and effective functioning VHSNCs in every village in the sampling district.